What you need to know about dedicated servers
Perhaps you have just got yourself a dedicated server. The moment you receive information from your server, you would want to create your website or migrate immediately. If your experience with system administration is little, then perhaps learning about the available tools is a good idea.
Being enlightened about dedicated server always begin with a web host. You should understand what you bought, your responsibility and know what the web host take care for. Here are some o things you need to know:
- Read the Terms of Service
By reading the terms, you learn about the legalities of the server. You will learn about your responsibilities and your service provider’s responsibility. Concentrate on information about uptime guarantees, scheduled downtime and the steps for canceling the service.
- Read and Understand the Support Package
Make sure you understand the things that the monthly fee covers. Unmanaged dedicated servers also have the web host responsible for some support.
- Go through the Licensing Contracts
It’s crucial when it comes to software on windows dedicated server boxes. Make sure the licensing is updated, and base software is authentic. Sometimes some companies such as RedHat or Microsoft carry out an audit and may find you having an illegal copy.
- Make Sure you have Host Contact at All Times
You should always have your server’s information that can be accessed anytime. You should program your web host’s contact information on your phone. Sometimes emergencies happen and you would need to resolve the problem immediately.
Any dedicated server box comes with a web server, a database server, and an operating system. It could also come with a control panel, be programming language support, backup software, and security software. There are some things you should know whether you have managed support or not:
- Operating System – you should be aware how to update it, perform security checks, configure it, check logs and audits and know how to perform basic maintenance.
- Web – there are high chances that you will handle almost all web server functions with a control panel. However, you should know how to do security checks and ways of adding websites to a web server.
- Database Server – you need to know simple commands such as importing, exporting databases and backing up.
- Control panel – it’s a personal preference to use control panels. Those unfamiliar with web servers prefer control panels as an easy alternative. Others use web server and some other server assets directly. With a managed administration, your admin will have a control preference and would probably install a control panel for ease. In such case, make sure that you familiarize yourself with a control panel.
- Security Software – you ought to have an anti-virus suite and a firewall software. Make sure to perform a security audit when you create a site or during migration. Doing that will help you know if there are other precautions to be taken.
- Backup Software – you should order a backup solution if your web server has one. You can get a large storage VPS and backup on that as well. You don’t have any reason not to back up your websites. Seize the opportunity and learn how to use the software.
After all that is done, examine the hardware. It’s a straightforward process. Familiarize yourself with an available add-on such as a firewall. If you can’t figure out how to use a firewall, approach your managed solution provider to help you through the configuration process.
When all is set, you can now start creating your website or migrating. The first dedicated server box isn’t something to just place your site on, take it as a learning tool and with step by step method, you can be proficient at server administration.